Nov. 1, 2011 — A reader questioned the sanity of the Occupy Movement and wondered if the worldwide revolution the movement’s website touts is a form of anarchy.
Another reader told me it is a group of people representing the 99 percent who get nothing while the other 1 percent gets it all.
I told both I would watch the movement and see how it grows or fizzles out.
So far it isn’t fizzling out, it is growing old. I went to the wearethe99percent website, and I can tell you that I seriously don’t know anyone who is part of the 99 percent represented on this site.
The site states, “We are the 99 percent. We are getting kicked out of our homes. We are forced to choose between groceries and rent. We are denied quality medical care. We are suffering from environmental pollution. We are working long hours for little pay and no rights, if we're working at all. We are getting nothing while the other 1 percent is getting everything. We are the 99 percent.”
Let’s look at this objectively.
Why are they losing their homes?
Frannie Mae and Freddie Mac, supported by Democrats, helped people get home loans with balloon payments or with mortgages way out of the buyer’s monthly means.
It used to be one had to have a down payment and proof he or she could pay the payment, taxes and insurance with money left over to take care of the rest of living expenses.
Choosing between groceries and rent has always been an issue in a lot of places and that is not an issue for the Federal government or even Wall Street or the 1 percent.
That is a municipal problem that needs to be addressed with slumlords, etc.
I also know many people who won’t abide by tenant rules, which makes them a rent risk.
The statement about quality medical care intrigues me because I have never seen an emergency room turn away a seriously injured person.
One blogger on the site said her husband hasn’t seen the dentist in 10 years and his teeth are rotting.
Yes, a check up and cleaning can run $100 or more but save up a bit every month.
I used to pay my dentist in Illinois $25 a month to have my family of five get a check up and cleaning every six months. Prevention was the key.
I have to laugh at the environmental pollution claim.
I have seen You Tube videos and news clips of the Occupy Movements.
People are smoking cigarettes and dope, using open pit fires, not using proper sanitation and they complain about environmental pollution.
They are mad at the 1 percent, the corporations, who make fuel, plastics, rubber, computers, cars, buses and all the amenities they are gripping that they can’t afford.
I wonder how much pollution is generated to put together a box of Hamburger Helper or bag of Cheetos to fix for their family rather than make a meal from scratch besides the amount of chemicals in the food that relates to obesity and other unhealthy lifestyle choices.
Yeah, some of them are working long hours.
So is the rest of the middle to lower class and so is many of the 1 percent.
How does one think the 1 percent got wealthy?
The Donald Trumps of this world are workaholics and try to find solutions.
Steve Jobs probably worked long, hard hours.
How about Bill Gates?
Rumor is that his children have to work for their fortunes and not expect daddy to give it to them when he dies.
And, excuse me; workers today have more rights than ever. In the work place the word “sue” is commonplace.
Unions have long strangled the workplace and if someone is unhappy maybe they need to look at the union fat cats who are part of the 1 percent.
Union bosses live in mansions, earn huge salaries and say they are for the working class.
As for not getting anything while the 1 percent get everything. Give me a break!
I am definitely not even close to being part of the 1 percent and never will be, but I sure don’t begrudge a company, corporation for making a profit.
If they aren’t paying taxes then we need tax reform and some deregulation so they don’t outsource their business.
Do I blame them? No, not at all.
If you can make a profit by going elsewhere, we all would.
Look at how many people try hard to cheat the system now, or honestly look for every tax break they can.
I look for every possible deduction I can.
I pay my taxes but I will ask for help in bringing down what I owe. Isn’t that normal?
Rather than sit on your booty in some park screaming revolution, take any job you can find, volunteer where you can and try to make changes at the government level.
As each day goes by, the Occupy Movement appears like a bunch of whiney, lazy people who want more handouts at my expense.
I know God wants me to be a Good Samaritan, but I am thinking about crossing the street and saying fend for yourself. I have to.
|< Prev||Next >|