The new Masonic Temple neared its exterior completion. The structure was at its full height and ornamental iron gates were just being put into place to give grace and beauty to the top of the great structure.
65 years ago
With his airplane demolished when he made a crash landing Saturday night, a Klamath Falls flyer walked away from the wreckage near Susanville.
W.B. Witcomb, manager of Klamath Falls’ airport, was en route to Oregon city from Visalia when he ran out of gas over Susanville. He attempted to land his plane, hitting a telephone pole near Richmond Road on the edge of town causing the plane to roll end over end in a rocky field.
Witcomb escaped injury and spent the night at the Hotel Mt. Lassen.
25 years ago
Lacie, the 2-year-old daughter of Jack and Donna Beterbide, of Susanville, returned home after an 11-hour liver transplant operation in August at Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh, Penn. Local residents rallied to support her and collected $150,000 to help with the costly surgery.
15 years ago
Teachers picketed at Lassen High School on Thursday, Oct. 30 protested their continuing lack of a contract. The school administration has filed an unfair labor action against the teachers’ union.
10 years ago
Unable to find a supply of wood chips to power its massive steam turbine, Wendel’s Honey Lake Power Plant closed last Friday for the winter.
For a dozen years, the 35-megawatt biomass plant has produced enough electricity to power all of Lassen County if needed.
The company plans to keep all 20 of its employees on the payroll during their down time to clean and repaint the plant for the next spring.
5 years ago
The latest protest against the massive Granite Fox coal-fired power plant project comes from a Susanville family whose members claim the plant proposed near Gerlach, Nev. would be located on their ancestral lands.
The Bureau of Land Management, which won’t release the draft environmental report for the proposed 1,450-megawatt power plant before early 2006, apparently recognizes the Northrup family claim.
“The BLM has done an oral history,” said Mace DeLorne, a member of the Northrup family, “and they’ve also taken us out there to look at the cultural site.”
Concerned about mercury, air quality and potential surface and below ground pollutants on lands his family still uses for hunting and gathering medicines, DeLorne said, “This could be an environmental disaster.”
Services for the Sacred Heart Catholic Church at 120 N. Union St. continue despite the damage caused by a fire discovered at roughly 2:49 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23. A malfunctioning heater near the back of the church building caused the fire.
The fire caused moderate smoke damage to the building and forced two occupants to be treated and released for smoke inhalation.
Services for the church have been temporarily moved to Monsignor Moran Hall while the church undergoes repairs.
|< Prev||Next >|