Ranchers, farmers in Sierra Nevada in line for $5.2 million in grants
March 5, 2013 — The Sierra Nevada Conservancy (SNC) Governing Board will meet Thursday, March 7 to consider approval of $5.2 million in Proposition 84 grant awards to assist 29 Sierra ranchers and farmers in 18 counties with conservation measures designed to protect California’s most important watersheds. There are five Lassen County listings:
• Upper Pete’s Creek Habitat Restoration Project, $198,225 (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Nevada Fish and Wildlife Office; Ted Koch, call (775) 861-6311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Ash Valley Ranch Native Grassland Restoration, $350,000 (Lassen County Fire Safe Council, Inc; Thomas Esgate, call 310-0146 or email email@example.com),
• Butte Creek Meadow Restoration Project, $294,817 (Pit Resource Conservation District; Sharmie Stevenson, call 399-3405 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Rush creek Improvement Project, $207,164 (Bureau of Land Management, Eagle Lake field office; Valda Lockie, call 252-5325 or email email@example.com)
• Pyle Ranch Conservation Easement, $35,000 (Lassen Land and Trails Trust; Louise Jensen, call 257-3252 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
The SNC will issue a news release from the board meeting Thursday afternoon with the final decision by the board.
Projects will result in reduced erosion, meadow and stream restoration, conservation easements, infrastructure development, invasive species removal and pre-project environmental work.
Eligible applicants include public agencies, qualifying nonprofit organizations whose charitable purposes are consistent with the purposes of the SNC and eligible tribal organizations. Where applicants on private land use the funds, Prop. 84 regulations require there must be a demonstrated benefit to the public.
Lassen High School Football Boosters plan to raise funds for Arnold Field
May 15 — The Lassen High School Football Boosters have come up with several fun and creative ways to raise funds for the renovation of Arnold Field. The boosters are offering students, athletes, alumni, local businesses and community organizations a way to permanently make their mark at Lassen High...Read More...
Grizzliette Show is a huge success
The Lassen High School drill team hits its final pose at the end of a routine during the annual Grizzliette Show Friday, May 3. The show featured routines the Grizzliettes have performed throughout the year. Photo by Maddie Musante May 14 — The Lassen High School drill team...Read More...
Lady Grizzlies win league championship
The Lassen High School varsity softball team stands together after winning the first game of its three-game series against Yreka High School. The Lady Grizzlies went on to beat Yreka in away game Thursday, May 9, clinching the league championship. Photo by Scott Nordstrom May 10...Read More...