Young local anglers flock to Susan River for annual fishing derby
|Leighton Morley, 3, proudly holds up her trusty fishing pole that brought in two fish out of the Susan River during the 23rd annual Junior Fishing Derby Saturday, April 21, at Memorial Park. Photos by Kayleen Taylor|
April 30, 2012 — For 23 years, youth across Lassen County are restless throughout the night, dreaming of catching the biggest fish at the annual fishing derby.
This year, the honor of catching the biggest fish went to Azia Ciudad-Real who caught a 3 pound 4 ounce monster out of the Susan River.
Along with Azia, there were 552 sign-ups who flocked to Memorial Park in the wee hours of the morning Saturday, April 20.
In a joint effort between the County of Lassen and the City of Susanville, the annual event is a special moment for a young child either first learning how to fish or throwing in a line with years of experience to back them up.Jim Chapman, derby committee member, said the average number of participants range from 500 to 600 every year.
The derby is dedicated in honor of Don Spalding, a longtime derby volunteer.
|Randilynn David, 1, tries out her fishing pole in the grass during the 23rd annual Junior Fishing Derby Saturday, April 21, at Memorial Park.|
|Rylee Hollingsworth, 2, tries to hold on tight while her fishes go wild, with her brother Joe “Junior,” 4, shows off the catch he snagged at the annual Junior Fishing Derby.|
Girls ages 2 to 5
1. Haley Mankins, 2 pounds and 4 ounces, winner of a bike donated by Leslie's Jewelry.
2. Payton Bertrand, 1 pound and 14 ounces, winner of a rod and reel set donated by Western Nevada Supply.
3. Kaitlyn Turner, 1 pound and 4 ounces, winner of a tackle box donated by Larry's Spirit Gas.
Girls ages 6 to 15
1. Azia Ciudad-Real, 3 pounds and 4 ounces (largest of the day), winner of a bike donated by Billington Ace Hardware.
2. Faith Murphy, 2 pounds and 12 ounces, winner of a rod and reel set donated by Western Nevada Supply.
3. Caitlynn Anderson, 2 pounds and 10 ounces, winner of a tackle box donated by Larry's Spirit Gas.
Boys ages 2 to 5
1. Sam Blue, 2 pounds and 13 ounces, winner of a bike donated by Leslie's Jewelry.
2. Nathan Helle, 2 pounds and 7 ounces, winner of a rod and reel set donated by Western Nevada Supply.
3. Aiden Bottini, 2 pounds and 5 ounces, winner of a tackle box donated by Larry's Spirit Gas.
Boys ages 6 to 15
1. Kevin Barnetche, 3 pounds, winner of a bike donated by Billington Ace Hardware.
2. Mason Stokes, 2 pounds and 13 ounces, winner of a rod and reel set donated by Western Nevada Supply.3. Beck Williams, 2 pounds and 11 ounces, winner of a tackle box donated by Larry's Spirit Gas.
Lady Jacks take section title
The Westwood High School Lady Jacks softball team not only had an undefeated season, but is now celebrating winning the Northern Section Division VI championship. The Lady Jacks took on Maxwell High School Saturday, May 18 and won, 2-1, earning themselves the section title. The team ended...Read More...
Susanville Area Bicycle Association gets active on the Bizz Johnson Trail
May 23 — The Susanville Area Bicycle Association is inviting bikers, hikers, runners and walkers of all ages and skill levels to the Bizz Johnson Trail at 6 p.m. Tuesday evenings. The weekly event is part of an outdoor series the association will be putting on through October. The event will begin...Read More...
Lassen College basketball player receives scholarship
Justin McBride takes a shot for the Lassen Community College Cougars. McBride was on the 2013 Golden Valley Conference men’s basketball championship team and recently accepted a scholarship to attend and play basketball for Grace University in Omaha, Neb. Photo submitted May...Read More...