The 32nd annual Lassen Sportsmens Club Junior Fishing Derby drew more than 300 local participants to river banks Saturday morning, May 22. The year’s event, co-sponored by the city of Susanville, Lassen County and SIR Tribal Business Council, was dedicated to the memory of long-time supporter Leonard Griswold.
With more than 3,000 lb of fish planted in local waters, young fishers spent the cloudy, but perfect morning with their lines cast, waiting to reel in their catch.
The results from the annual event are as follows:
Girls ages 2 to 5
- First: Kinley Cox, with her fish at 3 lb 4 oz. at 19 1⁄2”
- Second:Payton Bissell, with her catch of 3 lb 1 oz. at 19”
- Third: Rosa Silva, with a fish at 3 lb 1 oz. at 18 3/4″
Boys ages 2 to 5
- First: Reese Freeman, with a catch of 3 lb 15 oz. at 20 1/2″
- Second: Axle Olivara, with his fish at 3 lb at 19 3⁄4 ”
- Third: Francisco Pajimola, with his catch coming in at 2 lb 12 oz. at 18 1⁄2 ”
Girls ages 6 to 15
- First: Brooklyn Greer, with her catch coming in at 3 lb 3 oz. at 19”
- Second: Payton Cox, with her fish at 2 lb 12 oz. at 18”
- Third: Emi Chandler, with a fish at 2 lb 10 oz. at 17”
Boys ages 6 to 15
- First: Gage Armstead, with his catch at 2 lb 11 oz. at 17 3⁄4 ”
- Second: Tucker Whitworth, with the fish coming in at 2 lb 9 oz. at 18 1⁄2 ”
- Third: Jordan Fisher, with a catch of 2 lb 9 oz. at 18 1⁄4 ”
Additionally, the Sportsmanship Awards were presented to Tristin Bashante and Trinity Cabrera. The Bill Kauffman Sportsmanship Award winner was Sid Callaway.
Event winners won various prizes for their Saturday catches. Grocery Outlet and Pregill Insurance sponsored the first place bicycles, Western Nevada Supply sponsored the second place rods and reels, and Larry’s Spirit Gas sponsored the third place tackle boxes. The Dieter Family and Bill Kauffman sponsored the Sportsmanship Awards. Dave Huhtala even donated a custom rod for the biggest overall fish.
Fish planting sponsors include the Lassen County Board of Supervisors, Susanville City Council, the SIR Tribal Business Council, Diamond Mountain Casino, the Walmart Foundation, Susanville Auto Center, C&S Waste Solutions, Jackson Service Center, Bill Muttera State Farm, CCPOA-CCC, and Pregill Insurnace.
Breakfast sponsors include Susanville Supermarket, Morning Glory Dairy and Walmart employees.
Lunch Sponsors include Frosty Mill, Alpine Beverage, Rainbow Bread, Burger King, Grocery Outlet and the Diamond Mountain Mini Mart.
Additional donations and prizes were donated by the Dieter Family, Bill Kauffman, Lassen Addressing, Honey Lake Firearms, Karen Dieter, LSCW, Wade Workman, Sierra Theater and Uptown Cinemas, Pizza Factory and Elegant Iris and Men’s Den.