CalFire says Burn Permits required May 1, advises residents of new restrictions; Susanville residents must get approval from fire department

Effective Wednesday, May 1, 2024, the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Lassen-Modoc Unit will require dooryard burning permits for residential burning within Lassen, Modoc and Plumas counties.

Residents of Susanville and Alturas must contact their respective fire department to obtain a burn permit as CalFire burn permits are not accepted within those jurisdictions.

For more information in Susanville, call the Susanville Fire Department at (530) 257-5152. Call the Alturas Fire Department at (530) 233-4500.

Burn Permits are available online or at the self-service Kiosk located at CalFire Lassen-Modoc Unit Headquarters, 697-345 Highway 36, Susanville, or by clicking here.

Property owners can access this website to obtain a burn permit, free of charge, by watching a short educational video, and submitting an application.

Permits must be printed, signed, and on hand while burning or immediately available for inspection upon request in an electronic format. The information contained on the permit states the terms the permittee is required to abide by to help ensure a safe debris burn while minimizing the chance of fire escapes. Permits are valid from May 1of the current year through April 30 of the following year.

Normally CalFire Burn Permits are only required for residents who live within the State Responsibility Area, or where CalFire has jurisdictional authority, however, in cooperation with local Fire Department Jurisdictions within Lassen, Modoc and Plumas counties, all residents may apply for a CalFire burn permit to burn when permits are required.

Residents of Susanville, and Alturas must contact their respective Fire Department to obtain a burn permit as CalFire burn permits are not accepted within those jurisdictions. No burning is allowed in Portola.

Burning can only be done on permissive burn days and within permissive burn hours as determined by the local Air Pollution Control District. To find out if it is a permissive burn day or if burning is limited to specific hours, contact your local Air Pollution Control District.
Lassen County (530) 257-2876 or 257-BURN.
Modoc County (530) 233-3436.
Plumas County, Quincy, Greenville, Chester (530) 274-7928.

Possession of a permit does not protect you if your burn escapes. You may be held criminally and/or civilly liable.

Immediately report uncontrolled burn pile escapes by dialing 911.

The Unit Chief will implement a burn ban when weather conditions warrant. Changing conditions
may necessitate an early burn suspension. Please stay informed about burn restrictions by
following us on social media: Facebook: @CALFIRELMU or Twitter: @CALFIRELMU.