City Weed Abatement deadline is Monday, June 26
The Susanville Fire Department informs city residents the Weed Abatement deadline is Monday, June 26, for the removal of weeds/fire hazards from your property within the Susanville city limits.
SFD asks that all hazards be mitigated before the deadline. The following Weed Abatement standards are designed to assist firefighting efforts by preventing or slowing the spread of fire. The SFD has the final decision in determining whether an area is “safe from the spread of fire” and conforms to the “intent of the code,” according to city code section 8.28.030.
It is unlawful for the owner, agent, lessee or other person having charge or control of any piece or parcel of land within the city to allow weeds or rubbish to grow, or to remain thereon, or upon the street or sidewalk in front of such piece or parcel of land.
Weeds, grass, or other combustible growth may be abated by mowing, disking or scraping. If mowed the combustible growth must be cut and maintained to a maximum height of 4 inches.
The SFD advises residents to:
- Mow or disk space around all buildings 30 feet wide at minimum.
- Mow or disk space 50 feet wide minimum. completely around the perimeter of the property to the street or sidewalk.
- Mow or disk 30 feet wide minimum cross-breaks every 50 feet maximum, (property can be completely mowed or disked in lieu of cross- breaks.)
- Mow or disk space extending 30 feet minimum beyond the foliage of any group of trees.
- All rubbish, trash, trimmings, rubble, or litter shall be removed from the property.
- All woods, fuel, or lumber shall be neatly stacked or removed from the property.
- All weeds, grass, or other combustible growth shall be cleared at least 10 feet from around any combustible storage.
- Greenbelts, pastures and environmentally sensitive areas shall be assessed on an individual basis. Contact the fire department if you believe that this applies to your property.
- Mow or disk space may be required to be larger if a potential fire hazard exists.
- Remove down branches from trees and trim lower branches up to 6 feet from the ground or 1/3 the height for smaller trees.
- Abatement by open burning is not permitted.
For more information regarding the Susanville Weed Abatement Program, call Assistant Chief Hernandez at 257-5152