Food benefits available for wildfire victims

The California Department of Social Services today announced that individuals and families impacted by wildfires in six counties may be eligible to receive Disaster CalFresh food benefits as part of continuing disaster recovery efforts.

The United States Department of Agriculture recently approved California’s request for Disaster CalFresh food benefits to enhance recovery efforts in counties impacted by recent wildfires. The program is known nationally as the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or D-SNAP.

A family of four with a monthly income up to $2,951 may be eligible to receive up to $782 in food benefits through this program. Those who already receive regular CalFresh food benefits will not be eligible for Disaster CalFresh.


Who can apply?

Individuals and families who lived or worked in in Lassen, Plumas or Tehama counties between July 14 and Aug. 13, 2021, or Trinity County between July 30 and Aug. 29, or Placer and Nevada counties between Aug. 4 and Sept. 3, 2021, may be eligible for Disaster CalFresh food benefits if the household experienced at least one of the following as a direct result of the wildfires:

  • At least one person in the household was not getting regular CalFresh food benefits;
  • Money was spent because of the wildfire or related power outage;
  • Money was lost from work because of the wildfire; or
  • Money was spent because of damage to a home or business.


How to apply

Households may apply between Oct. 18-22 and Oct. 25-26, 2021, by calling their local county social services office, submitting a paper application, or submitting an online application. In most cases, Disaster CalFresh food benefits will be available within three days of the date of a qualifying interview. Additional information is available at

Online applications will be accepted in Lassen, Nevada, Plumas, Tehama, and Trinity counties at and in Placer County at             Applications received on Saturday, Oct. 23 and Sunday, Oct. 24, will be considered as received on Monday, Oct. 25, 2021.

Clients may also reach their local county social services office by calling (877) 847-3663 (FOOD) for more information. Disaster CalFresh food benefits will be provided via an Electronic Benefits Transfer card, which is like a debit card that can be used to purchase food items at grocery stores and other authorized retailers.       If applicants are approved, their county will tell them when and where to pick up their EBT card.



Call your local county social services office:

  • Lassen: (530) 251-8152;
  • Nevada: (530) 470-2452;
  • Plumas: (530) 283-6350;
  • Placer: (888) 385-5160;
  • Tehama: (530) 838-1458; and
  • Trinity: (530) 623-8248.