Items stored too near heater ignite Susanville office fire

Combustible items stored too near a heater caused a small fire in a Main Street commercial building yesterday

According to a statement from the Susanville Fire Department, about 7:39 p.m. Monday, April 15, the Susanville Fire Department was dispatched to a reported commercial structure fire located at 2000 Main Street.

Susanville City Engine 621 arrived on scene and contacted the reporting party who directed the engine company to an office on the side of the structure with burning contents inside. Firefighters entered the office, and the fire was quickly extinguished.

Once the fire was out, personnel began overhaul operations to verify that there was no extension of the fire into the other areas of the building. None was found, and all additional incoming firefighting units were then canceled.

Upon investigation, it was determined combustible materials were located too close to a heater caused them to ignite. Thanks to a quick response and an aggressive fire attack, the damage was limited to the office area.

No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

The Susanville Fire Department was assisted by the following agencies: Susanville Police Department and the Susanville Natural Gas Department.