Congressman Doug LaMalfa issued the following statement after voting against H.R. 7617, the Defense, Commerce, Justice, Science, Energy, Water Development, Financial Services, General Government, Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development appropriations package.
“This appropriations bill defunds the police, reverses several of the president’s pro-life policies and blocks critical water storage projects in the West.” LaMalfa said. “The majority had an opportunity to consider bipartisan ideas, but they continue to force my colleagues and I to vote on bad policy proposals. By passing this bill today, Congress is headed down a path that will ultimately lead to expensive, short-term, spending deals, ignoring the constitutional duty to properly fund the government before the fiscal year runs out.”
Provisions in H.R. 7617 include:
- Prohibiting state and local law enforcement agencies from receiving excess military equipment, including bullet-proof vests and other items needed to protect and serve our areas.
- Preventing funds from being used for a border wall system along the southern border.
- Providing free lawyers for migrants crossing the southern border.
- Making changes to family planning grants, requiring funds to go to Planned Parenthood clinics.
- Preventing funds from being reallocated from the failed California High-Speed Rail project.