Lassen National Forest began selling Christmas tree permits Nov. 1. As a reminder, a large part of our forest has been burned in recent years, so plan ahead and check that your favorite cutting areas are available ahead of time before purchasing a permit, as all sales are final.
With the recent snowstorms National Forest land will be extremely difficult to reach. Be prepared for deep snow, icy roads and cold temperatures. Be extra careful when cutting your Christmas Tree. With current conditions it is especially important to make sure that someone knows where you are going and your expected time of return.
The Lassen National Forest would like to mention some changes to the Christmas tree permit program that are continued from last year.
- The Shasta-Trinity National Forest will no longer be selling permits for Christmas trees to be cut on the Lassen National Forest.
- Permits purchased from the Plumas National Forest or Rec.gov are not valid on the Lassen National Forest.
- Lassen National Forest Christmas Tree Permits cannot be purchased online.
Our offices are open to the public and will be selling permits in person, as well as through the mail. Find more information and to print the request form on our website Lassen National Forest – Home (usda.gov).
Visit us at one of the following locations:
- Almanor Ranger District – Mon-Fri: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 900 E. Highway 36, PO Box 767, Chester, CA 96020 (530) 258-2141.
- Eagle Lake Ranger District – Mon-Fri: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 477-050 Eagle Lake Road, Susanville, CA 96130, (530) 257-4188.
- Hat Creek Ranger District – Mon-Fri: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 43225 E. Highway 299, Fall River Mills, CA 96028, (530) 336-5521.
- Old Station Visitor’s Center – Thur-Mon: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., 13435 Brans Way, Highway 44/189, Old Station, CA 96071, (530) 335-7517.
- Supervisor’s Office – Mon-Fri: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 2550 Riverside Drive, Susanville, CA 96130, (530) 257-2151.
All Forest Service offices will be closed on Friday, Nov.11 in observance of Veterans Day and Thursday, Nov. 24 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
The following vendors are now selling Christmas Tree Permits
- Collier Hardware – Mon-Fri: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sat: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 105 Broadway, Chico, CA 95928.
- Zavattero’s Grocery – Mon-Sat: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sun: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. 15509 Nopel Avenue, Forest Ranch, CA 95942.
- Butte Meadows Resort – 7473 Humboldt Road, Butte Meadows, CA 95942
- Intermountain Hardware Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sat: 8 to 4 p.m., Sun: 8a.m. to 3 p.m., 201 Main Street, Chester, CA 96020
- Lake Almanor Ace Hardware -Mon-Sat: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 417 Main Street, Chester, CA 96020
This vendor will have permits by 11/14/2022.
- Susanville Supermarket Mon-Sun: 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. 50 Grand Avenue, Susanville, CA 96130.