The Lassen Nation Forest will remain temporarily closed. Through Regional Order 20-13, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region has extended the temporary closure of all California National Forests through Sept. 21. The extension of the temporary closure is due to unprecedented and historic fire conditions throughout the state. The conditions will undergo monitoring to assess the situation to determine if the closures need to remain in place.
“California is experiencing an unprecedented and dire fire season. This Regional Order allows us to provide for the safety of forest visitors by preventing them from getting trapped on National Forest system lands during potential emergency circumstances while also protecting natural resources,” said Deb Bumpus, Forest Supervisor, LNF.
The following persons are exempt from this Order:
- Persons with Forest Service Permit No. FS-7700-48 (Permit for Use of Roads, Trails, or Areas Restricted by Regulation or Order), specifically exempting them from this Order
- Any federal, state, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- Persons with a Forest Service non-special use written authorization to conduct non-recreational activities, such as harvesting timber or forest products or grazing livestock.
- Owners or lessees of land, to the extent necessary to access their land.
- Residents, to the extent necessary to access their residences.
- Persons engaged in a business, trade or occupation are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above but may use National Forest System roads to the extent necessary to carry out their business, trade or occupation.
This Regional Order includes an exemption for persons with a Forest Permit for Use of Roads, Trails, or Areas Restricted by Regulation or Order (Form FS-7700-48).
Authorization under this exemption will only be provided by Forest Supervisor Bumpus if the risk to personal health and safety is reasonable. For more information, visit the Lassen National Forest website at fs.usda.gov/lassen or social media channels (Facebook or Twitter).