Life Tributes for the week of 10/2/18

Elizabeth Norton Andrews

Elizabeth Norton Andrews (“Betsy”) died unexpectedly at her home in Paradise, California on Wednesday, Sept. 26, due to respiratory failure from Rett Syndrome. She was 39 years old. Betsy is the beloved daughter of Robert Andrews and Elizabeth Norton, of Susanville, California.

She was born in Chester, California in 1979 with Rett Syndrome, a rare degenerative neurological disease that affects a child’s motor functions and cognitive skills.

Although she could not walk or speak, Betsy led an active lifestyle with her family where she was fully integrated in family activities including biking, hiking, boating and camping.

She graduated from the Pearson Center Community Classroom for special education students in Paradise, California in July 1981.

From 1999 until her death, Betsy resided in Paradise, California, at a group home where she thrived. The family wishes to acknowledge with deep gratitude the wonderful care she received from all the staff at her Alpine home.

Betsy had a profound influence on everyone who touched her life. She was known for her sweet disposition and strong spirit which helped her live as long as she did despite the complications from Rett. She was loved beyond measure.

Betsy is survived by her sister, Kristen, of Friday Harbor, Washington; and two brothers, David and Ethan, who reside in Irvine, California, and Aromas, California; as well as numerous nephews and nieces.


John Steven Fehrman

Longtime Plumas County resident John Steven Fehrman passed unexpectedly in the early morning hours of Sept. 18, 2018 at Plumas District Hospital in Quincy.

John was born Sept. 11, 1952, in Talmage, California, to Edmund and Edith Adkins Fehrman. He was raised in the Santa Rosa area where he attended elementary school and was a graduate of St. Rose Catholic High School in 1970. He was a member of the Boy Scouts of America as a young boy and played Little League, which he loved.

John’s father Ed was a long-time pilot and shared his love of the sky with his young son early in his life, actually taking him for his first flight when John was only 3 months old. John and his dad logged hundreds of hours each year at the airports in Santa Rosa. His dad taught him how to fly when John was quite young and he had his pilot’s license by the age of 15, even before he had his driver’s license.

After graduating high school, a feat accomplished with the help of the staff of nuns that tried valiantly to keep the young Mr. Fehrman in line, he went on to attend Santa Clara City College on a full-ride baseball scholarship, as he was a heck of a catcher! After his baseball coach was approached by some of his professors who had the audacity to complain that John could not just play ball, he actually needed to attend classes, John decided to enlist in the U.S. Army.

John entered the Army in January 1971 as the Viet Nam War was actually winding down a bit. When they realized this 19-year-old kid had a pilot’s license, he was immediately assigned to the Army Air Corp to be trained to fly Hueys. John flew helicopters through three tours of duty and received his Honorable Discharge in January 1975.

He returned to California after his discharge and became engaged to a pretty young lady, Kathy Johnson of Santa Rosa, whom he’d been communicating with through letters during his tour of duty. They married on Oct. 3, 1976.

John decided to pursue becoming a funeral director. He often joked that it wasn’t because he felt it was his calling; it was because he figured he could accomplish getting the most education and a career in the least amount of time, as he still wasn’t crazy about being a student!

So off to the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science he went, with Kathy’s loving support, while he worked as an apprentice for $250 per month. When he graduated they relocated to Salinas so he could complete his apprenticeship.

The young couple soon discovered they were expecting their first child, so they began their quest to find a funeral business that they could afford with their limited funds. They were told about the availability of three small funeral homes in Greenville, Chester, and Westwood. John and Kathy flew to Chester and toured the three sites, and although Kathy was reluctant to make such a radical lifestyle change, she eventually agreed that it was their best option. Escrow papers were actually signed on the very day that Kathy gave birth to their son, Steven, in March 1978.
After relocating to Greenville, John and Kathy worked diligently to make a success of their business, both working long hours, sometime around the clock. They were blessed with two more children, daughters Nicole and Ashley. The family moved to Quincy in 1989 after purchasing Anderson’s Funeral Home.

They raised their kids and grew their business with hard work, dedication and many sacrifices of personal and family time. Their business is very demanding — open 24/7, 365 days per year — which John continued to do until the day he passed, as had Kathy who passed in March 2013.
John was a long-time member of Rotary, joining the Westwood—Lake Almanor Club when he was 24.

He recently became a member of the Quincy Club. He was a volunteer for the Greenville Fire Department and their ambulance driver before the days of EMTs. He served on the Indian Valley Hospital Board and was a staunch supporter of VICA ,Vocational Industrial Club of America.

He and Kathy gave financial support to students graduating from Quincy High School, toward their trade school endeavors. He was also an avid supporter at the annual Junior Livestock auctions every year during the fair. For many years John and his son Steve enjoyed a shared passion for racing, beginning with 4-wheelers and on to 410 sprint cars.

John was a dedicated supporter of Sierra Hospice and hospice care in general, serving as their president for nine years.

On June 6, 2014, John married a longtime friend he met through Sierra Hospice, Karron White of Chester, and she joined him in his Quincy home where she supported him in life and his business efforts.

His first wife, Kathy; his parents; and his sister, Julie Fehrman, predeceased him. He is survived by his loving wife, Karron Fehrmann, of Quincy, son, Steven and wife, Jennifer Fehrmann of Grass Valley, daughter, Nicole and husband, Jed Taborski, and daughter, Ashley Fehrmann, all of Santa Rosa.
The three bright lights of his life, his grandsons, Carter and Jackson Taborski and Colin Fehrmann and numerous nieces and nephews, also survive him.

Surviving siblings, Paul and wife, Lynn Fehrman of Santa Rosa, sisters Marcene Fehrman of Arizona and Micheala and husband, Tim, of North Dakota and brother Eddie Fehrman of Colorado.

Okay, we should explain the difference in the spelling of the last name. Seems John’s grandfather dropped the second ‘n’ after moving to the U.S. from Germany. John’s dad, John and his siblings went with the shorter version and it wasn’t until a few generations later the second ‘n’ was added back to Fehrmann.

A Rosary will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5 at St. John’s Catholic Church in Quincy. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held the next day, at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 6 at St. John’s.

Following Mass, a Celebration of Life will take place at 1 p.m. at the Plumas County Fairgrounds in Quincy, and folks are encouraged to attend that more informal event, although they are welcome at the Mass.

Thank you is simply not enough to say to the many people who have supported this family through these very sad days since his passing. Our hearts are full with the love and kindness folks in Plumas and Lassen County are blessing us with.

An opportunity to express your condolences to the family along with signing the memorial guest register is available online at


Clark Gay Crozer II, 51. July 23, 1967 – Sept. 19, 2018

Clark is survived by his wife, Diana and his children, Rhett Clark, Emilia Diane, Dylan Floyd, and Kayla Beth; niece, Cheyenne and sister Cathy; as well as extended family, Bates-Floyd, Barbara, Scott, Steven, and family; Donna Hansen and family; Danessa Canavan and family; several grandchildren; along with countless others he considered family and friends.

Clark served his beloved country with distinction and honor for more than 11 years as an army combat engineer and mechanicalized infantry. During his enlistment Clark was deployed overseas for Desert Storm. Desert Shield, just cause, and many others. This earned Clark medals, ribbons, and unit citations for his many accomplishments.

After Clark’s honorable discharge, he and his family relocated to Susanville, California, where he started his civilian employment with High Desert State Prison, as a laundry supervisor II. There he worked many years until his medical retirement.

After retirement, Clark dealt with many medical issues, starting with a brain tumor. Shortly after the removal, he suffered a stroke, and had a hard time getting back to who and where he was prior. Recent heart attacks, seizures, and excessive pain from injuries did not help with his recovery.
Clark loved deeply, had a heart of gold, and always did the best he could for the family that he adored.

He will be greatly missed by many.

Viewing services will be held at 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29 at Walton’s Mortuary, 155 Lassen St., Susanville, California. 96130. Services to be held at noon, Sunday, Sept. 30 at Susanville SDA Church, 3035 Johnstonville Rd., Susanville, California.

Graveside services to follow with full military honors, Diamond Crest Cemetery, Susanville, California.

Reception to follow, location to be announced. Please bring any cookies you’d like to share. Clark loved his cookies, cola, and sweet tea. Please join us, and help share all the beloved moments you shared with Clark, sense of humor and all.