One person injured in Fifth Street fire

One person suffered burns and possible smoke inhalation during a Monday evening fire on Fifth
Avenue in Susanville.

According to a statement from the Susanville Fire Department, about 8:10 p.m. Monday, Feb. 26, the Susanville Interagency Dispatch Center dispatched the SFD to a structure fire in the 1600 block of Fifth Street.

While in route to the fire, firefighters were advised that the Susanville Police Department was on scene — the fire was out and confined to the kitchen, and there was one patient with burn injuries.

SEMSA Medic2 was requested. Firefighters arrived on scene and confirmed the fire was out with smoke throughout the residence.

An engine from the SFD and an engine from CalFire arrived on scene and worked to overhaul the kitchen and clear the residence of smoke. SEMSA M2 arrived on scene and provided care to the patient who was transported to Banner Lassen Medical Center with minor burns and possible smoke inhalation.

The SFD engine cleared the residence of smoke and the CalFire engine confirmed the fire was fully extinguished with no extension.

Once the overhaul was completed, a fire investigation began. Through investigation and statements from the occupants, it was determined to be an unintentional fire due to combustible materials placed on a hot stove top and then left unattended.

There was one civilian injury and no firefighter injuries.

The Susanville Fire Department was supported by CalFire, the Susanville Water and Gas Department, the Susanville Police Department, and the Lassen County Sheriff’s Department.

The Susanville Fire Department would like to remind people to stay in the kitchen while they are frying, boiling, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.

At the time of this press release the transported patient has been released from the hospital.