Paul Bunyan Mountain and Blues Festival returns this weekend
The Paul Bunyan Mountain and Blues Festival returns to Westwood this weekend with a street dance Friday and the festival starting Saturday.
The annual event is back after a year off due to pandemic, and the weekend is packed with events for everyone to enjoy. This year is aptly themed, “Giving COVID the axe.”
Starting Friday, July 9, from 8 to 11 p.m., join the Downtown Street Dance. Local band Forgery will provide the tunes at the Westwood Visitor Center.
Sponsored by the Westwood Area Chamber of Commerce, the Paul Bunyan Mountain and Blues Festival Saturday, July 10 has a wide array of activities included with the price of admission, including the logging show, a Craft & Antique show, Blue Ox Bingo, a petting zoo, a kid’s area, great food and live music featuring Rowland & Tumblin’ and the Jason King Band. Earlier in the day, attendees can enjoy the Fun Run and the parade. This year’s Grand Marshals are Fred and Sheri Binswanger.
Pre-sale tickets for the festival will be available at the Friday Street Dance, and there will be some available at the gate.
- Parade: The annual parade begins at 10:30 a.m. at Ash and Third streets.
- Fun Run: Want to get an early start? Meet at the Visitor’s Center for a morning Fun Run. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. with the run at 8 a.m.
- Logging Show: One of the most unique and exciting features of the annual event is the logging shows. The show begins at noon, with signups at 10:30 a.m.
- Blues Festival: Rowland & Tumblin’ will perform from noon to 2 p.m. and The Jason King Band takes the stage from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Junior Logging Show: Children have an opportunity to compete in Paul Bunyan activities designed for youth, such as nail driving and log rolling during the Junior Logging Show usually begins around 2 p.m.
- Blue Ox Bingo: Bingo squares are sold and the winner picked when a steer relieves itself while grazing on a grassy area with numbered squares. The amount won depends on how many squares are sold.
- Arts, Crafts, Collectibles and Antiques Fair: Crafters will be selling their wares at booths and there will also be vendors selling antique furniture, collectables and repurposed items. People can begin browsing and making selections at 11 a.m. when booths open.
For more information on the Paul Bunyan Mountain and Blues Festival contact the Westwood Chamber of Commerce at 256-2456 or visit the website at westwoodareachamber.net.