According to a Tuesday, Dec. 21 announcement on the lassencares website, the Lassen County Public Health Department offered free COVID-19 rapid testing yesterday. Public health also offers the rapid testing from 1 to 3 p.m. today, Wednesday, Dec. 22.
According to the announcement, the testing is offered for “anyone traveling to visit friends and family this weekend.”
The public health department reminds the public of the simple steps that can reduce or prevent the spread of any respiratory illness, including COVID-19.
- Get vaccinated.
- Wear a mask if/when possible.
- Wash your hands with liquid soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If you do not have soap, you can use alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Do not use your hands.
- Regularly clean surfaces touched frequently by people.
- Practice social distancing recommendations by the CDC such as reducing your interactions in large groups or crowds and unnecessary trips into the public.
- Symptoms of COVID-19 range from mild symptoms to severe illness and they may appear two to 14 days after exposure. Symptoms may include but are not limited to, fever, cough, shortness of breath and a sudden loss of taste or smell. Residents 65 years or older and individuals with underlying medical conditions are particularly vulnerable to contracting the virus.
- Follow any additional guidelines recommended by the CDC.
For more information or updates, go to lassencares.org and the Lassen Cares Facebook page or call 251-8183 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
To schedule a COVID-19 vaccination, go to myturn.ca.gov.
December COVID-19 vaccine schedule
9 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday Dec. 28. Moderna first and second doses; J&J first doses and booster shots. Appointments can be scheduled on myturn.ca.gov.
9 a.m. to 11:30 Wednesday, Dec. 22. Moderna booster shots. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 251-8183.
9 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 30/ Pfizer (12+) first, second and booster shots. Appointments can be scheduled on myturn.ca.gov.
Pfizer 5-11 years vaccine is available by special clinic. Call 251-8183 to schedule.