Short circuit causes garage fire

Units from the Susanville Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 510 N. Mesa St. about 3:56 p.m. Saturday, May 13.

Upon arrival, an engine crew observed a detached garage with light smoke showing on the rear of the property. Susanville Police Department assisted in securing power at the power panel and began traffic control. Firefighters found the fire had been extinguished by the tenant and a friend with a garden hose.

SFD units started with salvage and overhaul while Chief 600 and the incident commander began the investigation.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a short circuit at a light fixture in the closet of the detached garage. The short circuit occurred during maintenance on a GFI plug in the bathroom of the main house. The quick reaction of the tenant and his friend, seeing the smoke, calling 911, and extinguishing the fire stopped the severity of damage and the possible loss of the structure.

There were no firefighters or civilian injuries. SFD was supported by SPD, the city of Susanville Natural Gas Department, CalFire and Lassen Municipal Utility District.