Permits required for special events and commercial activities on National Forest System lands: Fishing tournament and guiding activity permits require advanced planning

The Lassen National Forest is a popular destination for fishing enthusiasts. With so many opportunities to catch the big one, our forest is often the host of many fishing events and fish-guiding operations.

Sound stewardship of your national forests includes properly managing commercial activities and getting the appropriate permit for these types of special events. A commercial use or activity occurs when an entry or participation fee is charged or if the primary purpose is the sale of a good or service, regardless of the intent to produce a profit.

Individuals or groups that want to host fishing tournament events or operate commercial outfitting or guiding activities on National Forest System lands must obtain a special uses authorization permit from our offices, approving their operations and activities, in addition to any state permitting requirements.

These permits are required when Forest Service facilities and lands are used for events or services, such as boat launches where fishing tournaments are held or guiding services that occur on the National Forest System lands, including but not limited to the Canyon Dam or Almanor boat launches.

Operating or hosting events without a permit is illegal and in violation of the Code of Federal Regulations, 36CFR261.10 (c), 36CFR 261.10 (k), 36CFR 261.10 (n) for which a citation may be issued.

To obtain a permit for your event or operation on the National Forest System lands, contact the local ranger district office in the area where you wish to conduct your activity. The permit administrator will provide guidance on the application, requirements, and fees. Depending on the size and duration of your activity, there may be other costs you are responsible for as part of your authorized activity. Liability insurance coverage or a performance bond to protect the environment and site cleanup may be required. Timelines for processing will vary based on season and staffing. Plan early when submitting your permit application.

Contact your local ranger district office to obtain the necessary permit application forms: Eagle Lake Ranger District — (530) 257-4188; Almanor Ranger District — (530) 258-2141; and Hat Creek Ranger District — (530) 336-5521.

For additional information about recreational activity permits, visit our website at