SFD responds to oven fire

Quick action by a resident knocked down an oven fire at a Limoneira Avenue apartment.

According to a statement from the Susanville Fire Department, firefighters responded to a report of a multi-unit residential fire about 7:57 p.m. Friday, Sept. 16.

Upon arrival SFD personnel reported light smoke coming from the second floor of the building. Firefighters were notified that all occupants were out of the building and the fire was in apartment 11. Fire Crews made entry and found the fire had been extinguished. The resident had extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher. The fire was contained to the oven inside the residence. Due to quick action of the resident, the fire was stopped from spreading to the rest of the apartment and building. The cause of the fire was oven being left on and unattended when power was restored.

There were no firefighter or civilian injuries. The Susanville Fire Department was supported by CalFire, the California Correctional Center Fire Department, the city of Susanville Natural Gas, LMUD and the Susanville Police Department.

The Susanville Fire Department would like to take this time to remind everyone to not leave cooking appliances unattended and to keep combustible materials away from appliances that conduct heat.