The Susanville Police Department reminds the community that today, Monday, Oct. 31 the Historic Uptown Susanville Association hosts the annual Safe and Sane Halloween Celebration from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Main Street will be closed from Cottage Street to Weatherlow Street. Follow posted detours for the Main Street closure.
On Halloween the Susanville Police Department encourages everyone on the road to be extra careful as more children are out walking the neighborhood haunting for treats.
The Susanville Police Department offers the following tips for families to be as safe as possible and share the road safely:
- Slow down and watch out for more foot traffic in residential neighborhoods.
- Take extra time looking for trick-or-treaters at intersections and entering/exiting
- Never drive distracted or impaired.
- If you are heading to a local bar, restaurant or house party and plan to drink, bring the
designated sober driver with you.
Parents and trick-or-treaters
- Make sure costumes fit to prevent trips and falls.
- Decorate costumes and bags/buckets with reflective tape.
- Have kids use flashlights or glow sticks to make it easier for drivers to see them.
- Walk on sidewalks, when available. Avoid darting into the street or crossing between
- Stick to familiar, well-lit routes.
- Look both ways before crossing the street.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
In an effort to keep trick-or-treaters and others in the Halloween spirit safe, the SPD will have additional officers on patrol looking for drivers suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.