Suspected gas leak leads to 5th wheel camper fire

Firefighters contained this trailer fire to the kitchen area yesterday afternoon.

The kitchen area of a 5th wheel camper was damaged by a fire possibly caused by a gas leak yesterday

According to a statement from the Susanville Fire Department, firefighters responded to a reported camper fire about 2:15 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13 at 3075 Johnstonville Road.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed smoke and flames coming from a trailer and bystanders notified the engine crew that all occupants were out. The engine crew pulled hose lines and quickly extinguished the fire, minimizing the fire spread to the kitchen area. Once the fire was out, the investigation showed the origin of the fire to be near the cook stove. The owners said a repair person was scheduled to come by later in the day due to a light smell of gas.

There were no firefighter or civilian injuries. The Susanville Fire Department was supported by CalFire, the Susan River Fire Protection District, the city of Susanville Natural Gas and Susanville Police Department.