Transient cooking fire ignites blaze along Susan River Trail

The Susanville Fire Department provided this photograph of this morning’s fire.

According to a statement from the Susanville Fire Department, firefighters responded to a vegetation fire behind the Lassen County Hall of Justice about 7:42 a.m. today, Thursday, Aug. 25.

“Upon arrival, Susanville Engine 628 made access from Grove Street and CalFire Engine 2271 made access from the river trail,” according to the statement. “The fire was extinguished by personnel and was contained to an area approximately 12 feet by 25 feet.

“The fire was in a transient encampment near the river littered with trash and human feces. The fire was human caused and originated in a pile of charcoal briquets being used as a heat source for cooking. The fire spread due to excessive trash in the area and made its way to the vegetation.”

Responders included the SFD, CalFire, the Susanville Police Department and the Lassen County Sheriff’s Office.